15-Minute Cod with Avocado Salsa
Cod or halibut is another great source of nutrition. Like with salmon, cod contains omega-3 fatty acids and is also rich in vitamin B6 and B12 which are great for your heart and your entire cardiovascular system.
Prep and Cook time: 15 minutes
- 6 medium cloves garlic, pressed
- 1/4 cup minced scallion
- 1-2 tsp finely minced jalapeno pepper
- 3 TBS chopped fresh cilantro
- 8 cherry tomatoes, quartered
- 1 medium ripe but firm avocado, diced into 1/4-inch cubes
- 1/4 cup + 1 TBS fresh lemon juice
- 4 6-oz cod or halibut fillets
- salt and black pepper to taste
- Press garlic and let sit for 5 minutes to bring out its health-promoting properties.
- Mix together garlic, scallions, jalapeno pepper, cilantro, tomatoes, avocado, 1/4 cup lemon juice, and salt and pepper to taste. Set aside.
- Heat 2 inches of water in the bottom of a steamer and let it come to a boil.
- Rub cod with 1TBS lemon juice and season with a little salt and black pepper. Place in steamer and steam 10 minutes for every inch of thickness. (e.g., 5 minutes if it is 1/2-inch thick)
- Place fish on plate,and top with salsa.
Serving Suggestion: Serve with Mexican Corn on the Cob and Green Salad.