Enjoy the combination of spices that gives this spinach and sweet potato dish a unique flavor. Spinach is one of the most nutrient-rich vegetables around and the sweet potatoes add fiber and an extra dose of health-promoting carotenoids to this dish. Enjoy!
Prep and Cook Time: 35 minutes
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 4 medium cloves garlic, minced
- 1 cup + 1 TBS chicken or vegetable broth
- 1/2 tsp turmeric
- 1/2 tsp coriander
- 1/2 tsp cumin
- 1/4 tsp cardamom
- 1 TBS fresh lemon juice
- 2 cups sweet potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 6 oz frozen spinach, thawed
- 2 TBS chopped fresh cilantro
- salt & pepper to taste
- Chop onions and mince garlic and let sit for 5 minutes to bring out their health-promoting benefits.
- Heat 1 TBS broth in a large stainless steel skillet. Healthy Sauté onion in broth over medium heat for 5 minutes stirring frequently. Add garlic and continue to sauté for another minute.
- Add seasonings and lemon juice and stir to mix thoroughly. Add broth and sweet potatoes. Simmer covered over low heat, stirring occasionally, until sweet potatoes are tender, about 15 minutes. Uncover to allow sauce to thicken and cook another couple minutes.
- Press water out of spinach and add to sweet potatoes. Cook uncovered for a 3-4 more minutes to allow sauce to thicken. Add cilantro, salt, and pepper.